Butorac, new US Open Director: Ex-tennis player takes over the Grand Slam

alofoke
2 Min Read

Eric Butorac Assumes Role as US Open Director

Former player Eric Butorac will replace Stacey Allaster as tournament director of the US Open, the United States Tennis Association (USTA) announced on Monday. Butorac served as Senior Director of Player Relations and Commercial Development for the USTA, as well as Tournament Director for this year’s new mixed doubles event at the US Open.

“This is, in many ways, a dream come true and the culmination of my life and career in tennis,” said Butorac.

Eric Butorac
Butorac had a 14-year professional career, reaching the top 20 in the ATP doubles ranking and was a doubles finalist at the 2014 Australian Open. In addition, Butorac was president of the ATP player council. Joined the USTA in 2016 and was tournament director of the Cincinnati Open in 2022.

“Eric has been instrumental in strengthening the US Open experience for both players and fans, and his leadership, vision, and passion for the game make him the ideal person to guide the next chapter of the tournament’s success,” said Brian Vahaly, interim co-CEO of the USTA.

Brian Vahaly, interim co-CEO of the USTA
Allaster assumed the position of tournament director of the US Open in 2020, being the first woman to hold that position in the history of the tournament, which was first held in 1881. She has worked at the USTA since 2016 and was previously president and CEO of the WTA women’s professional tennis circuit. Allaster will remain in her position as Chief Executive of Professional Tennis at the USTA until May, before moving to an advisory role within the organization.
Share This Article