Wolff EXPLODES: Mercedes denies F1 engine and fuel accusations

alofoke
4 Min Read

Toto Wolff hits back at accusations about problems at Mercedes

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff has vehemently responded to speculation about a possible fuel issue, a day after the FIA proposed a mid-season rule change due to the controversy surrounding the team’s engine. It was announced on Wednesday that a regulatory change would be voted on, to be implemented from August, regarding the legality of the Mercedes engine. This, after it was determined that they had found a legal loophole that allowed them to exceed the permitted limits when the engine reaches operating temperature. The topic, focused on the limits of the compression ratio, has dominated the preseason agenda. According to reports, Ferrari, Red Bull, Honda, and Audi are not satisfied with the unit, which is also used by other Formula 1 teams, such as McLaren, which are supplied by Mercedes. However, another “tempest in a teapot” has arisen around Mercedes in the last 24 hours, focusing on a possible problem with the fuel for the inaugural race of the 2026 season in Melbourne, next month. It has been widely reported that Petronas, a sustainable fuel manufacturer, has not yet obtained certification and homologation for the sustainable fuel that the teams with Mercedes engines will use next season.

“You know, this is another one of those stories. They told us that the compression ratio was something illegal, which is totally nonsense. Absolute nonsense. And now the next story is that our fuel is illegal? I don’t know where that comes from and it starts going around again. Maybe tomorrow we’ll invent something else?”

Toto Wolff
Toto Wolff ha criticado las especulaciones sobre su equipo Mercedes.
Regarding the supposed problem with the fuel, Wolff insisted: “Another nonsense. This is a complicated issue and the process, and all this, but simply not… I can’t even comment on it.” The Mercedes team director was more moderate about the possibility of a vote against the legality of their engine on Friday. “For me, either way works. Either we stick with the regulations as they are or the vote takes place on Friday with the FIA’s proposal. Both options are valid for us,” added Wolff. “We said from the beginning that this seems like a storm in a teacup, the whole thing. The numbers were coming out and if these numbers had been exorbitant, I understand why someone would fight against it, but in the end it’s not worth the fight. It doesn’t change anything for us, whether we stay like this or change to the new regulations and that has been a process.” The Ferrari team principal, Fred Vasseur, said: “First, we don’t have a clear decision today. It means it’s quite difficult because we have to send the engine to Melbourne in two days, so that’s a challenge, but overall we have to trust the system.” McLaren boss Zak Brown added: “Ultimately, the governance of the sport is very solid. It has passed all the tests, so we are not worried about it. Whatever great engine Mercedes produces, we will put it in the back of our car and compete with it.”
Share This Article